There can be a number of reasons for weight gain, some of which are under our control while others are not. Some reasons for weight gain can be:1,2
- Genes and heredity - having a close family member who is obese increases chances of gaining weight
- Poor dietary habits - eating high-sugar, high-fat food, or fast food can increase weight
- Lack of activity - little or no exercise can cause weight gain
- Certain medical conditions - one of the symptoms of thyroid problems is weight gain
- Environment - work stress can change level of hormones leading to weight gain
- Lack of sleep - increases hunger leading to overeating
- Pregnancy and menopause - causes hormonal imbalance in women which may increase weight
- Psychological problems - depression leads to loss of interest and inactivity
Consult your doctor to find out the reason for your weight gain.
Disclaimer: Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider.
2. Youdim, A. Obesity. [internet] Merck Manuals. [cited 2015 Dec 16] Available from: http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/disorders-of-nutrition/obesity-and-the-metabolic-syndrome/obesity